From:
Ken Yellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 16:42:15 EST
The most famous bar of this kind may be the one in Kenneth Fearing's
The Big Clock, where customers come in to stump the barkeep -- who
never fails to produce the outre object requested.  The book, btw, is
based on Fearing's experiences working for Time magazine; the hero,
played by Ray Milland in the movie, is a reporter for "Crimeways" who
works for the publisher -- played by Charles Laughton -- a psychotic
Henry Luce type, if that is not a redundant statement.  Milland
inadvertantly gets involved with the publisher's girlfriend, who gets
killed, by the publisher, of course.  The hero, who was seen at the
scene, is put on the case by the publisher to, in effect, find himself.
If this plot sounds familiar it is because it was remade -- set in the
Pentagon this time -- as No Way Out a few years ago with Kevin Costner,
Gene Hackman, and Sean Young.  No neat bars in the remake that I can
recall but the lovers do have a special weekend at the Robert Morris Inn
on the eastern shore of Maryland.