From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 13:50:15 -0700
 Speaking of bars as museums, there is a student hangout in Tucson, Arizona
that is incredible in the amount of stuff hanging off its walls. The Bum Steer
has artifacts ranging from Western saddles to an entire airplane (a biplane)
hanging overhead. There are gimcracks and paintings, Western cowboy gear and
tools all over the walls. No labels, but none are really necessay. Also, there
was a bar in Jolon, California (next to Fort Hunter-Ligget) that had a door
leading off the main room. When the door was flung open, a huge polar bear
rearing up on its hind legs could be seen and was usually used to scare the
beejeezus out of someone's drunken buddy. The bar was the Ruby Mine, but has
been taken over and turned into a respectable restaurant and the bear is now
gone.
   Here is Arizona, we have a postcard that shows a man riding a jackalope,
but I haven't seen any solid examples of such a creature.

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
INTERNET: [log in to unmask] Owner: HISTARCH