From:
Shana West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:56:54 -0700
I would think, too, that having the owner sign a release form is a good idea
in some cases -then you'd have legal protection before you even started.

When I worked in a mineral and gem store, we had this problem often - people
would bring in 'grandma's ring' and want to know what it was and how much it
was worth, etc.  I found that by showing people stamps in the metal or
creases and flaking from plating, or by rotating the microscope around to
their side of the counter, showing air bubbles in glass or mineral
inclusions, the exploration was kind of exciting for most people.  Too, they
would see directly how I came to a conclusion.  We always tried to emphasize
the value of the piece as an heirloom or as an example of something
inexpensive but popular in the time it was made.  'Fake' overlooks the other
values an object may have.  Having a few reference books handy is also a
great way to both provide citations and even foster interest in something
new.

Dealing with litigious people was occasionally a problem at the store,
however.  I remember one case wherein the appraiser suggested the customer
get a second opinion; she also worked hard to shift the focus onto the
seller.  The customer did eventually realize the true source of the problem
and go after the seller.  It's a sticky situation for anyone giving
professional opinions, of monetary value or otherwise.
Shana