From:
"REYNOLDS, Trevor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 11:10:07 +0100
Much of what has been said about the US situation is also true about the UK.  There is a recent report about salaries in UK museums on the Museums Association web site.
(http://www.museumsassociation.org/asset_arena/text/04/policy_salarysurvey2004.pdf)

If you are a national of any of the 25 European Union countries or the European Economic Area countries you don't need a work permit.  If a work permit is required then the employer needs to be able to show that they have not been able to find a suitable applicant from within the EEA/EU (this means that you need to be the only suitable person who applied for the job not merely the most suitable person)
The work permit web site is
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/work_permits.html

Trevor Reynolds
Collections Registrar, English Heritage, Room 530, 23 Savile Row, London W1S 2ET, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7973 3482  Fax: +44 (0) 20 7973 3209