From:
HNEEDHAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 06:42:09 +0000
At the Canadian Museum of Civilization, we have basically given up on our
cassette-based audioguides, which are clumsy, expensive to update and force
visitors to follow sequential paths.

We have recently completed a pilot test of a guide based on cellular
telephones, operating from our in-house telephone system (no use of commercial
networks). Small cellular phones in a shoulder case were used to access
mulkti-layered data in random sequence in any of multiple languages. The units
were extremely well received by visitors, considering the limitations of the
test. Indeed, I was rather floored by how positively the system was viewed. The
changes suggested were simple and do-able.

We are now studying the cost implications of complete installation in the Grand
Hall, Canada (history) Hall and Mezzanine and the First People's Hall (under
development). The system will feature layered information (up to 3 layers) in
(initially) 4 languages (English, French, Spanish and German) and all
information can be accessed randomly. The system is useful from an evaluation
perspective, as our telephone/computer network will track in detail visitor use
of the new system, which should provide a good deal of useful data. Depending
upon the use and demand, we would add information in Japanese and Mandarin).

Copies of the evaluation are available. (Patricia, there's one in the mail to
you!)

harry.needham(at)cmcc.muse.digital.ca