From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:41:19 -0500
Judy,

That was one of the best explanations about copyright that I have read!

So many people assume that if they own an object or work of art that they
also own its use and copyright. This is never true unless the copyright has
been transferred in writing by contract. If a private collector or an
institution owns a Calder, for example, all of the rights are held by the
artist's estate unless they are expressly released or given by them in
writing. There is a definitely lifetime for US copyright when created works
fall into public domain.

The US copyright office has a very informative web site. Here is the URL for
their FAQ:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

Cheers!
Dave