From:
Richard Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 10:19:08 -0800
On Sun, 15 Jan 1995, Stacey Anne Baquero Goldyn wrote:

> Hello Again, it's stacey Baquero Goldyn from the Arts Administration
> Program at the University of Oregon.
>   About two weeks ago I posted an inquiry about MA verus MS degrees in
> the Arts Admin profession, and got no responses.  I would like to post
> this again in hopes that someone will have some advice for me.
>
>   I am currently in a master's program in arts administration. We have
> the opportunity to obtain either an M.A. or an M.S.  The only difference
> between the two is that the M.A. requires two years of foreign language
> at the college level, whereas the M.S. does not.  My question is whether
> obtaining an M.S. would be unwise, considering the fact that every job
> description that I have seen for arts administrators asks for people with
> M.A.'s.
>  Does anyone out there have any ideas about this?  I will strive for an
> M.A. if I must, but at the moment I am on an M.S. track and would like to
> remain so if it will not hurt my chances of finding a job when I finish.
>
>  Please let me know what you think! Thanks for your time.
>                      Stacey Baquero Goldyn

As I said before, I have found no essential difference in having the MA vs
the MS.  As a sometime hirer, I have paid no attention to the particulars of
the title on candidates' vitae.  You might occasionally find a hirer
prefering the MA either because theirs is an _arts_ organization, or because
of foreign language requirements (helpful here in San Diego to have documented
knowledge of Spanish), but the issue is generally a non-issue.

Richard Perry
University of California, San Diego