From:
Jim Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 08:26:52 EST
I wish to second the messages of caution.  I have found a lot of information so
urces out there already.  Many of these on the face of it appear great and turn
 out to be questionable at best.  Museum-L is a great source for just about eve
rything.  Combining a storage function for archives, etc. with this would enhan
ce the service.  Obviously the maintenance and other issues will arise once a s
ervice such as this grows.  We have an abundance of gophers on our campus most
of which are useless.  The Library on the other hand has a Cyberlybrary compone
net which links to services, individually managed files, and gophers all of whi
ch functions beautifully and is available to anyone anywhere.  Therefore we sho
uld be careful not to create a new function when perhaps already existing servi
ces could simply be enhanced.  Just a though or two or...  JIM

Jim Ellis
Office of International Studies and Programs
123 Tigert Hall                     Telephone: (904) 392-6356   (NEW #)
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA               BITNET:    JELLIS@NERVM
GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA 32611          INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]