From:
"Stuckle, Danielle L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2018 20:43:30 +0000
After serving on several boards over the years, I will no longer serve on any that don’t provide D&O coverage. An organization doesn’t have to pay for this; however, I hate to think about what I would do if I was personally named in a lawsuit against my organization.  There is some interesting data in this article: www.boardeffect.com/blog/do-insurance-nonprofit-boards<http://www.boardeffect.com/blog/do-insurance-nonprofit-boards>. All you have to do is read the news to see an array of crazy (and legitimate) lawsuits.

I work as a consultant to cultural heritage organizations throughout my state and have advised all the boards I work with to try to get to a point where they can add this to their budget. Some of them have asked their board members to chip in to cover the expense themselves until they can work it into their budget. Most of them still don’t carry it (boards of mostly volunteer/lay people).   See if you can touch base with someone who represents your state’s Professional Insurance Agents association (PIA).  They often have someone (typically for a fee) who can come and speak to a group about insurance as an educational/outreach effort—as opposed to someone giving you a hard sell for specific products. They can give you a more neutral overview of insurance options without you having to actually buy something from them. I also would check around for additional quotes on this as $1,000 a year seems high for an organization without paid staff.

--To identify, preserve, interpret, and promote the heritage of North Dakota and its people.

Danielle “Dani” Stuckle

Educational Programs and Outreach Coordinator

State Historical Society of North Dakota

North Dakota Heritage Center

612 East Boulevard Avenue

Bismarck, North Dakota 58505-0830

701-328-2794