From:
Lancer 525 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:26:10 -0500
Scott D. Peters wrote:

>The Constitution has a Navy crew because it is still a commissioned warship
>in the United States Navy. (The Oldest Commissioned vessel in the fleet at
>that!) Though it's role is as a floating museum.

Scott, FYI, U.S. Navy ships are "She"... Targets are "It"...  ;-)

>ps - The USS Arizona (G-d rest the souls of her gallant crew this December
>7 and forever more) is also still a Commissioned vessel and will ever be
>so.

The USS Arizona is not a commissioned ship of the United States Navy.

Due to the extreme damage she suffered during the attack, she was
declared unsalvageable, and was removed from the Naval Register of
ships, effectively decommissioning her, on 1 December 1942.

According to the National Park Service website:

"Contrary to popular belief, the USS Arizona is no longer in commission.
As a special tribute to the ship and her lost crew, the United States
flag flies from the flagpole, which is attached to the severed mainmast
of the sunken battleship."
Source: http://www.nps.gov/usar/home.htm

From the University of Arizona Library website:

"During 1942 salvage work to recover as much of the ship as was practical
began. The masts and superstructure were removed for scrap and the
two turrets aft were salvaged for use at shore batteries on Hawaii. The
forward part of the ship had received the most damage, and only the guns
of turret two were removed while turret one was left in place. On December
1, 1942 the ship was stricken from the registry of U.S. Navy vessels."
Source:
http://dizzy.library.arizona.edu/images/USS_Arizona/history/history.html

And from the Naval Historical Center website:

"Placed “in ordinary” at Pearl Harbor on 29 December 1941, Arizona was
struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 1 December 1942. Her wreck
was cut down so that very little of the superstructure lay above water;
her after main battery turrets and guns were removed to be emplaced
as coast defense guns. Arizona’s wreck remains at Pearl Harbor, a memorial
to the men of her crew lost that December morn in 1941."
Source: http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/a11/arizona-ii.htm

As a descendant of a crewman who lost his life aboard the Arizona on that
fateful day, I deeply appreciate your active role in remembering the gallant
crew who gave their lives in service to their Nation.

A great source of information on the study, preservation, and significance
of the site can be found here: http://www.nps.gov/usar/scrs/scrs.htm

It is the National Parks Service Submerged Cultural Resources Study on
the USS Arizona and Pearl Harbor National Historic Landmark.

Cordially,
C. Barreras, Jr.