From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 14:49:20 -0500
> Your argument would seem
> to indicate that we should now  pay him a fee for the privilege of spending
> over $50,000  showcasing his work and promoting it.

Did you include a fee for the artist as part of the corporate sponsorship
arrangement?  When we do corporate-sponsored exhibitions of working artists
we always include it and the sponsor always understands that the artist
needs to be paid too--after all, working with you on this exhibition has
taken about a year of his psychic energy that should be compensated.  Since
you are a museum I assume that you are not selling work out of the
exhibition, so all the artist is getting directly from the exhibition,
besides the money from the piece that the museum purchased, is exposure
(very nice exposure) that may or not translate into actual sales during his
lifetime.

Julia Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center