From:
Travis Nygard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 20:24:16 -0500
Hello all,

There was a recent discussion of MySpace on a library listserv that I am
on.  Some libraries have a presence, but many are uncomfortable with it
because it is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation.   The idea of
endorsing a media monopoly and accepting a user agreement that gives News
Corporation at least some control of content made many librarians
uncomfortable.

There has also been some discussion about copyright on social networking
sites like MySpace on listservs and blogs that I follow.  Some people think
that posting photos and comments on MySpace gives the rights over
to Murdoch.  (I have no idea if that is true, but I would read the user
agreement carefully.)

That said, the libraries with sites often have thousands of "friends," so it
seems to appeal to young people.

Travis

--
---