From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:55:30 -0600
Hi Jeff,

We both charge admission and have a donation box.  Our admission price,
$5.00 for adults, is relatively low but as a city owned/state mandated
(but not financially supported) museum may think that is too high.  We
also have a donation box by our main exit door.  I don't know the exact
amount, but the box always has money in it.  We do "seed" it but not
that much.

Our donation box is not only located next to our exit door but also next
to the visitors comment log.  At the box we talk about how we are funded
and ask for their help in maintaining and improving exhibits.  People
seem to be very generous and supportive but we are definitely not
operating on these donations.  It has never affected our high end donors
who we target for specific projects and needs.

I also like that our donation box is in a supervised area but not right
where there is a person stationed, that way people don't feel
"compelled" to donate if they do not want to.  When I feel compelled to
donate also is when I start to feel "nickel and dimed".

Hope this helps.

Tracie Evans

Collections Manager

Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum