From:
Heather Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:25:43 -0800
The Costume society of America's Western Region Symposium is taking
registrations until FEBRUARY 24, 2011!

You can download the flyer and registration form here:
http://www.costumesocietyamerica.com/RegionV/event_workshop_sym.htm

*Western Region Symposium*
*Interpreting History Through Costume*
March 17-18, 2012

William S. Hart Ranch and Museum, Santa Clarita, California

If the clothes make the man, what can they tell us about history? Join us
for an exploration of how we can interpret history through costume at the
historic ranch of one of the first Hollywood cowboys.Silent film star
William S. Hart was one of the most popular stars of the silent film era
and one of the most authentic. In 1926 he had a mansion built in Newhall,
California, now filled with Western art, furnishings and selected costume
pieces.

The museum is surrounded by a large park that includes a herd of bison,
nature trails and a gift shop. During our symposium the National History
Museum of L.A. County will display pieces from its historic and performance
costume collection.

The weekend starts on Friday with a reception at the Roman Holiday Wine
Lounge.

Saturday and Sunday will feature a variety of papers on fashion, history,
theater, national costume, gender issues and re-enactors. We will top off
Saturday evening with a showing of William S. Hart’s final film, the silent
Tumbleweeds, considered to be the high point of his career.

*Two Gun Bill* (William S. Hart), circa 1920s

Photo courtesy of The William S. Hart
Collection,<http://www.hartmuseum.org/>Los Angeles County Museum of
Natural History.

  *Reservations must be received by February 24, 2012*
• Members $ 95
• Student Members $ 85
• Non-Member(s) $105

--