From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 18:54:27 -0500
It's not the amount (although that does help), it's the gesture.  By funding
arts and culture the Fed. Gov. is acknowledging that they are just as
important a part of "us" (i.e. the country's ethos) as is national defense
or caring for the elderly.

Of course I have written to my congressman and senator many times (pretty
much whenever someone asks!), and I have a file folder of polite and
not-so-polite letters saying in effect, "thanks for letting me know your
concern but I'll vote however I want."  I didn't elect these people, they
realize it, and accordingly they are blowing me off.  This won't stop me
from writing, but it's harder and harder to remain calm and rational when
doing so.

Julia Moore
Indianapolis Art Center