From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:37:09 -0800
Mary,

  I loved your reply to William.  Your advice and comparison to a marathon
were so right on.  Sorting to broad categories sounds like it would make the
cataloguing or re-cataloguing  much faster and probably better as someone
working on it can get immersed in the terminology and typical
characteristics of a group rather than brain-shifting from china to
blacksmith tools to something else.  That might depend, though, on whether
the objects had been numbered or not.  If not, I'd be cautious about moving
them at all until it was clear that juxtaposition with other items (possible
from the same source ) held no clues to their donor, date of acquisition or
provenance.

I too have been there and done that, though in both cases, while the records
were scanty, scattered, and took some finding, they were there and began to
be helpful as I got in to the mindset of the people who had created them.

Another possible approach, if the storage situation is not damaging the
collection, might be to start with the records -getting into the database
everything that you are "supposed" to have, even if it's just a number and
object name, and those word documents, so when you start to work on there is
a place to immediately update location, and also to have at least a keyword
search ability to see what you have when someone needs something for exhibit
or research, if something turns up without a number.  That might be
something a volunteer could help with, as more and more people are computer
literate enough to do that.

Every situation is a little different though, so deciding the best approach
is doing what you are doing - assessing where things stand now,  and triage
what most needs to be done to secure the health and welfare of the
collections and best meet the needs for collection use.   What can be done,
realistically, with staff and volunteers available will be part of that
equation, probably.

William, Good luck, it's a great challenge and requires perseverance, but as
you work it is SO satisfying to know what you are accomplishing for the
collection and for those who come after.

Lucy Sperlin