From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 21:33:20 EST

In a message dated 12/5/2005 5:41:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Although  it is possible for some variety of this flu to become  commonly
transferrable to humans and subsequently transmissible between us,  there is
no certainty that it ever will. Much like the possibility that an  airborne
version of HIV will develop over time. There are thousands of  animal
diseases that do not cross over species lines to which we are  exposed
daily, any one of which might have the same effects. Currently you  can only
get the "bird flu" from infected birds(and perhaps through  mosquitoes), and
even then the odds are astronomical, since it is not a  virus that normally
effects humans at all. Even if you catch it, it still  can not be
transmitted from person to person, and it is nowhere near 100%  fatal. At
this point it is hardly an earthshaking problem, and no amount of  planning
on my institution's part is going to do a darned thing to change  whether it
becomes a bigger one. It also seems odd to me that they are  cranking out
vaccinations for a virus that does not yet exist, i.e. a virus  that can be
transmitted from person to person. Perhaps a vaccination  against the one
that occasional people get directly from birds will be  helpful?

Mark,

Although not all animal diseases cross over to other species, all  contagious
diseases that humans suffer from originated in other animal  species.

I too believe (or would like to believe) that this potential  pandemic is
just that and that human transmission will continue to be minimal  and/or
contained. Scientists have been predicting a pandemic flu for a long time  now. The
latest predicators in the bird flu may have alarmist overtones, but I  would
totally fault the CDC or any scientist whom may know of a potential  pandemic,
and has made no action or cause for concern.

Not every virus/disease is reportable, but the identification and
study/evidence of the avian bird flu virus will now be. There are numerous  challenges
to this when diseases are present in countries that lack the  resources to
address a potential pandemic. Sometimes an alarmist-type campaign  is the only
call to action.

Regardless of your institution's level of preparedness, of course  you are
not going to prevent this from becoming a bigger problem...in the sense  that it
would already have to be a big problem before it reaches the boundaries  of
your institution.

But rest assured that your institution no doubt already has  guidelines in
place for dealing with epidemics -the planning has been done and  is adaptable
to contend with minimizing the spread of a  potential epidemic.

Just today I was reviewing some historical CCC documents and read  about an
entire CCC Camp in CT that was shut down for 3 weeks following a  scarlet fever
epidemic. Not all the CCC Camps in CT were closed - just the one  where the
scarlet fever occurred.

In other documents - I've read about a CCC Camp that was required  to
initiate hand washing for all enrollees prior to eating their lunch. The  public
health department had identified the lack of proper hand washing to be  the cause
of cholera that many enrollees and staff had been suffering from. I could
write a book about how the CCC addressed and contended  with infectious diseases.

This is also how I learned that stomach cancer was the leading form  of
cancer - until the 30's when meats were by then, then more commonly  refrigerated,
rather than smoked/cured. By the 1930's it was known that charred  (and pretty
much we now know that pretty much anything that is  carbonized is a potential
carcinogen) meats could be carcinogenic.

In regards to a flu epidemic - we can't deny or ignore the facts.  As a
population, we are not immune to this. The potential definitely exists.  Whether
you chose to panic or not is a personal choice...but for those of  us whom are
indeed responsible for other employees and are public places, these  facts
cannot be ignored.

As far as the vaccine - I was not aware that anyone was 'cranking'  any out.
Developing a vaccine and identifying resources to produce a vaccine  (widely)
is a good thing. Stockpiling on the other hand...obviously there's  money to
be made in that.

Like you, I too am not one to panic or otherwise over-react (or  even react)
to a potential threat. Anything that causes panic  among the general public is
scary in itself to see.

It is too soon to be taking any additional precautions at this  time. But
perhaps it is a good time to check our museum's policies regarding  epidemics.
You may find, especially for older institutions, that they have  responded to
epidemics and potential epidemics in the past. They may have  responded by
closing - this may still be a guideline and you should be aware of  this in any
case...just as you should for any other instance which may require  your
institution to close.

Pam

Pamela Silvestri, Volunteer
Connecticut State Department of  Environmental Protection
State Parks Division
Shenipsit State Forest  Headquarters
166 Chestnut Hill Road
Stafford Springs, Connecticut  06076