From:
adelheid straten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2014 10:23:16 +0200
Dear all,

I am sorry to take up this thread again and to enervate some of you.
Some days ago, the discussion on the rising number of visitors at
Rochester to get in exhibitions with dogs and drinking bottles was
abruptly ended by a statement of my German colleague, Angela Kipp.
Fortunately, some of you kept the pot boiling and offered answers to the
question raised in the original posting by Marie Via.

In her statement, Angela Kipp wrote:

    And as a German and a museum professional I wish to make clear that
    the views stated by Christian in no way represent the opinions of
    museum professionals in Germany. This is one author expressing his
    personal views and has nothing to do with the culture in Germany and
    how we treat disabilities and how we wish people with medical issues
    are treated.

In a later additions, she revoked parts of her statement saying that her
and my statements are all personal statements and that she also is not
entitled to act as the official voice of German museums or the German
Museum association (DMB). And she also revoked her statement on
"privileges" of disabled as she prefers the term "rights" in this matter.

As her statement is a bit thick, I gave Angela the opportunity to revoke
_all_ parts of her quoted accuse in time, because the internet is no
legal vacuum. As she refused to revoke _all_ elements of her statements
here in the list, I am compelled to clarify:

- As an art historian, member of ICOM Germany and museologist I am
writing _on_ museums wordwide since 20 years.
- There is a semantic (logical) difference between "rights" and
"privileges" of disabled citizens [Of course, not all privileges
worldwide are based on equal rights]. I am using the term "privileges"
because other visitors are barred from bringing in dogs into
exhibitions. In this particular case, the privileges of disabled are
based on equal rights.
- I agree totally with the approach of the German Museum Association
(http://www.museumsbund.de/de/das_museum/themen/barrierefreiheit_im_museum/)
and ICOM Germany + the approach of majority if not all Geman museums
towards disabled citizens. This is the main point in Angela's statement
I have to reject.
- In Germany, we have a special ID card for the disabled, we have also
special licence plates and special cards for using the parking lots near
the museum entrances. So, anyone with an unvisible disability who claims
privileges can prove it easily, while visitors with visible disabilities
do not need this card system - anyone at the front desk would grant them
the respective pivileges.

By the way: sniffling around in some German "handicapped blogs", I
learned that our German handicap proofs (doctor's statements or the
mentioned "official" cards) are accepted by many institutions of the
U.S. Smile.

Best

Christian