From:
Patricia McDougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:03:25 -0500
We have a storytime program here at the National Air and Space Museum that
includes a hands-on activity at the end of the story.

Since we are part of the Smithsonain, we do not charge an admission fee.  We
do not charge a materials fee, moslty becasue a fund was contributed to
theis specific program in the name of a former Program Manager that passed
away.

For books, we have a range of age levels, but I like to use stories that use
facts, but also tell a story, usually reading level from ages 4-8.  I do use
some younger ones, like board books, too.

Our themes are, obviously, air and space related, we have an airplane theme
and the students make a "model airplane" from pre-cut pieces of card stock.
We have tow space-related ones, one where the students make models of
theApollo Command Module and it's parachute asit comes abck to earth (we let
them test it in the missile pit), the other is uner development, but the
student will make a space shuttle glider.  We have a star-themed one where
the students make their own constellation, we have a planets one where they
make a planets mobile, and a helicopter one where they make a paper spinning
helicopter.  Others are still under development.

Patricia McDougall
Tour and Reservations Supervisor