ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 16:38:08 -0800

LynneTeather wrote:

> One way that younger members might be attracted to ICOM is for our museum
> studies educational places (schools, associations, institutes) to emphasize
> the work of ICOM and its many committees and affiliated groups. I'm afraid
> my experience is that such is often not the case, especially in North
> America.

This is exactly the case in Africa. ICOM members are making little effort to
inform even their own colleagues about the organisation. Yet ICOM is a fantastic
idea for museum professionals. In my experience the various sub-committees are
doing thier best to keep their members informed, but the idea is to get the
members in the first place. I agree with Lynne Teather.

Josephine Thang'wa
Public Relations Officer
National Museums of Kenya.