ICOM-L Archives

ICOM-L@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeanne Hogenboom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ICOM Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 12:05:46 +0100
To Martin Sagger, ICTOP chair
From Jeanne Hogenboom, CIDOC chair

Dear Martin,

>CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS REGARDING REVISIONS TO THE ICOM  BASIC SYLLABUS

That sounds like an excellent idea. I will try to get you CIDOC input on
issues relevant to training in documentation etc. CIDOC has been discussing
training for some time. We have made quite a few publications on standards,
vocabulary control, as well as some 'fact sheets' that introduce
documentation practice issues on a very simple level. These products should
preferably be used by museums and we have been thinking of how we could
develop training aids e.g. on the many CIDOC publications.

> New communications technologies are
>changing the way we work.

That is definitely something CIDOC is concerned about (see our earlier
reports and see our conference reports on CIDOC webpages
(www.cidoc.icom.org). See also the upcoming issues of ICOM Study Series.)

I hope we can discuss the input of CIDOC in the syllabus  further, either in
June in Paris, or maybe during a session at the CIDOC conference where we
will discuss 'Quality & Documentation', a topic where training issues will
certainly come to the surface. I know ICTOP has a meeting 'near' CIDOC's
conference (Nuremberg - Germany, 7-11 September), so some 'cross links'
should be possible ?

With best regards,
Jeanne Hogenboom
Bureau IMC