From:
Roy Hemmat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:39:53 -0700
Kristin queried:

>Does anyone have any resources for estimated or actual numbers of museum
>websites that are >currently up and running on WWW?

Here's a wild unscientific estimate from someone who is currently building
a rather large searchable directory of museum websites. I'd say that half
of all REAL WORLD museums do have some form of web pressence, which could
range from a full blown website to what could best be described as a
webPAGE (often provided by a local media website. i.e many newspaper
websites have developed directories to area attractions, with complimentary
"blurbs" about various museums. Throw into this mix the vast amount of info
on local museums and historical parks/sites to be found on National Parks
Service websites, Department of Interior's website, and the 100's of
differant State and Local History Societies' websites.) My point being that
there are a LOT of small museum related webpages and sites that are "out
there" that are very difficult to track down, document, itemize and finally
... count.

However, as far as major museums go, I'd guess that close to 90% have a
more formally established web pressence, with many museums going the
distance and registering their own unique URL's over the past year.

'course ... as I'm fond of saying ... what do I know? I could be totally
wrong about these numbers. Just a wild guess I humbly toss into the ring.

Museum-L" (without the quotes).