From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 16:25:52 -0400
Todd Happer writes:

I'm sure the last time a ubiquitous technology was introduced to museums
and other industries--i.e., desktop computing--there wasn't such a hue and
cry for the investment to make a financial payback.
>Aren't there many, many things on which we spend money that are meant
chiefly to support revenue generation?  Especially print collateral like
brochures, newsletters and rack cards?

>Is there an argument to be made that museums' web sites should be partly
viewed as a cost of doing business, and (like computer purchases, phone
costs, electricity, printing, etc.) that they should be managed with an eye
to cost containment but not forced to earn their full keep?

My thought here is that websites really fall somewhere between technology
and publications.  You could say that they are simply brochures /
catalogues which utilize new technology - a sort of whiz-bang way of
"printing" promotional items, publishing store catalogues, enticing
visitors through electronic billboards.  Sure, they can be, are and will
increasingly be more than that, but I don't think it's unreasonable to
expect them to help pay for themselves.  As for whether they actually do,
that is going to be as much a function of design, publicity and intent as
is the success of any print endeavor.
Anne T. Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County