From:
"Ruppert, Allison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 12:47:44 -0400
Vera Uyehara,
Perhaps this is of no help, since Carnegie Museums is large and has a large
staff, but this is our scheduling for holidays. Carnegie Museums consist of
the Museums of Art and Natural History, The Andy Warhol Museum and Carnegie
Science Center. The hours differ for each, but here is a general normal
operating schedule:
The Andy Warhol Museum is closed Monday and Tuesday, open 11-6 Wed. & Sun.
and 11-8 Thursday-Saturday.
The Museums of Art and Natural History are open 10-5 Tuesday-Saturday, 1-5
on Sunday and closed on Mondays. (they are open Mondays between July 4th and
Labor Day)
The Science Center is open everyday 10-5 (10-6 during the summer) except for
Saturdays which are open 10-9.
Each location is closed during holidays for the most part, with the
exception of the Science Center which is only closed Christmas, New Years
day and Thanksgiving. How each location (and each department within those
locations) staffs the museums is dependent upon themselves. I do know that
at the science center, fulltime staff (mostly supervisors) must sign-up for
one holiday a year. We are fortunate with each location to have great
Visitor services staffs and volunteers that work on a regular basis, but
with anywhere, there is a problem with many people asking off for the
holidays and special events, so staffing at these times is also a challenge.
        I personally require membership staff to work one holiday at least
and rotate weekends with everyone. I am very flexible as long as one person
is at the membership desk everywhere, but I can fill in to, if I can.
Holidays are tough to staff no matter how many people you have, I think.

Allison Ruppert
Development Assistant, Membership
Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh
4400 Forbes Avenue