From:
Tim Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:52:54 -0800
Laura Bauer wrote:

> Hi - I'm trolling for ideas: our museum is hosting the Dinamation dinosaurs
> this summer in our auditorium. Each dino will be in/on an "island" of rock
> and artifical plants (on top of plastic sheeting to protect the wooden
> floor).  We're trying to be "evolutionarily correct", so they will be
> surrounded mostly by artificial ferns, cycads, conifers and mossy-type
> things.  I'm trying to figure out what we could use to fill in around the
> plant bases on the floor.  We're trying to avoid natural materials (wood
> chips, dried moss, etc...) because we would have to fumigate and fireproof
> them.  We could use crushed rocks, but they are fairly expensive and heavy.
> Has anybody out there solved a similar problem or have any brilliant ideas
> they'd like to share?  Extra challenge: we don't have a big budget and we're
> getting short on time.  Please respond to:  [log in to unmask]

Laura,
Hi. We at the San Diego Natural History Museum have installed many robotic
exhibits ( both Dinamation and Kokoro) and we have used many of the things you
have mentioned. We have lately used camouflage netting from the army/navy. It
is fairly organic looking, usually comes in big pieces, is usually flame
resistant and/or fire proofed and can be fairly cheap/inexpensive. Sometimes
you can even chose between "desert storm" tan or northern Europe green. We have
been able to acquire some through the government surplus program and, of
course, at army navy surplus stores.
I hope this helps.

Tim Murray
Director, Exhibits Department