From:
Doug Lantry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:50:08 -0400
Pamela--You might seek out The International Group for Historic Aircraft
Recovery (TIGHAR) in Wilmington, DE, and also speak with Ed McManus, chief
conservator at the SI Nat'l Air and Space Museum's Garber Facility,
Suitland, MD. I have a copy of the latest guidelines, based on the
sec. of the interior's methodology for hisotric vessels (I can send
you a copy if you like). Also, you can speak with the USAF museum (Maj Gen
Charles D. Metcalf, Director--see their web page for contact info), and the Air
Force Materiel Command Headquarters History Office, Wright Patterson
AFB, OH, John D. Weber, director (my boss in the Air Force Reserve). For
the views of a smaller operation, try the Military Aviation Preservation
Society (MAPS Air Museum, Canton, Ohio).

All these groups will have slightly different views on what *should* be
done, but all should agree basically on what problems they face. Corrosion
should be #1 on the list! Aircraft and such are just full of internal vice
in terms of unfriendly combinations of metals, fluids, deteriorating
natural rubber, etc etc. The meaning of "restoration" and the ranges of
interpretation are also points of contention. I wrote an MA thesis on this
and would be happy to talk more about it with you.

Best regards,
Doug Lantry
Doug Lantry
The Ohio Historical Society
Statehouse Education and Visitors Center
Columbus, Ohio