From:
Peta Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 21:33:21 +1100
For our rural properties (or outdoor artefacts) we use light gauge
aluminium tags that we buy from horticultural suppliers. These tags can be
written upon with a biro (ballpoint to you) which impresses the text into
the thin sheet of aluminium. The ink doesnt matter. The tag is then wired
on through a reinforced hole in the tag. Its tough. But the wire supplied
by the vendor has proved to be the weak link (it corrodes), so we now use a
galvanised wire. Maybe you can find the product through botanical
suppliers?

Michael.

>We are about to embark on tagging of agricultural implements used at
>Historic Brattonsville, our living history site.  We need to use something
>that is tough amd impervious to weather - perhaps Tyvek?  Anyone have any
>suggestions / experience with this that they would be willing to share?  We
>need to find out what to use to write on the tags, and what to use to
>attach them.  Many thanks -
>Anne T. Lane
>Curatorial Assistant
>Museum of York County
>4621 Mount Gallant Road
>Rock Hill, SC 29715
>803-329-2121, ext 104

Michael Bogle, Historic Houses Trust of NSW
Peta Landman, Museums and Galleries Foundation of NSW
429 Riley Street
Surry Hills, Sydney NSW
Australia 2010