Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 07:47:06 -0600
Tim McShane wrote:

>      Our Board of Directors recently underwent a few Board Development
>      Workshops, and volunteer management was one of the topics addressed.
>      The workshop facilitator (who directed volunteers co-ordination during
>      the 1988 Calgary Olympic Games, and has remained involved in community
>      development) definitely recommended firing "bad" volunteers.  We were
>      also encouraged to recruit volunteers based on how well their skills
>      and experience met our needs, rather than just recruiting "warm
>      bodies."  Personally, as a volunteer and as a manager of volunteers, I
>      prefer to think of volunteers as "unpaid staff," with the same
>      responsibilities and rules for acceptable conduct as any other
>      employee.  I know it's difficult to "let people go" when there's so
>      much work to be done, but as Robert says, it can sometimes be more
>      work dealing with a difficult person than that person contributes to
>      the institution.  And as for bad will, if management has a problem
>      with a particular person, chances are other volunteers have problems
>      with that person too.
>
>      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>      Tim McShane
>      Curatorial Assistant, Parks Canada
>      (also, Co-Chair of the Museum Division, Arrow 2000 Project)
>
>      Views and opinions expressed are entirely my own, and do not
>      necessarily reflect those of Parks Canada or the Arrow 2000 Project
>      Association

As the director of a small museum with over 80 volunteers, I can't
imagine a bad one. I have heard about them of course, but I suspect that
there are lots of bad employees too, so I want to encourage an outlook
that is so damned positive you've got to have good volunteers. It works
100 percent of the time for us!