From:
Sharon Koomler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:16:32 EST
Lucy,

re: your concerns about dealers associated with museums.

Your points are taken.  But the reality for our committees is that they are
advisory only, not policy making.  It is important for me as a curator to be
knowledgable enough about our collection to understand the pro/con of
accessioning/deaccessioning objects.  We have clear policies regarding both
activities. and the decisions are made by a tiered team.

It is true that there may be dealers who will use the institution to gain some
credibility.  That is why we cultivate and invite our board members rather
than respond to unsolicited offers.

I rely on my relationships with dealers and collectors, probably more than
they gain from their relationships with me or my institution.  There are some
I will not "deal" with, but there are many who have earned my respect.

Again, I would hesitate to eliminate dealers from participation in museums.  I
am interested to hear additional thought on this.

Sharon Duane Koomler
Curator of Collections
Hancock Shaker Village
Pittsfield MA  01202