From:
Linda Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:57:45 -0700
Dear Colleagues and Future Colleagues:

I have been reading the thread about MA programs in Museum Studies with
more than a little dismay, not because of my position, but because
sweeping generalizations of any kind really don't get to the core of the
issue and usually end up confusing rather than clarifying.

Anyone anticipating graduate study of any kind (Ph.D., MA, MBA etc.) needs
to be a wise consumer for the prospective educational experience.  Not all
programs serve the needs of everyone and a prospective student needs to
investigate thoroughly the curriculum, the facilities, the faculty, etc.
etc. before making that important decision.  I know this sounds
unavoidably self-serving given my postion however, a blanket statement
that Museum Studies Programs are lightweight is a disservice--and I'm not
referring only to myself, but to all of my colleagues who run and teach
similar programs.  I would challenge anyone to examine carefully, as
independent observers, our curriculum and the curriculum of other fine
programs.  The field of museum studies/museology has developed
logarithmically over the past 10 years--nationally and
internationally--such that I really don't feel that I have adequate time
to teach all that I know and that is happening on a yearly basis.

In addition, as I always advise prospective applicants, talk to museum
professionals about their job and their academic and professional
experience--their advice is worth a thousand words.  Also tied in with
this discussion has been the topic of salaries--again, talking to museum
professionals and examining the salary surveys for the US and many other
individual states (published by the AAM) prior to making a decision on
graduate schools is absolutely necessary.

No one should be surprised that the non-profit, educational sector in the
United States is a field with low to middle-range salaries.  If anyone is
angry about this (and I include myself), it is NOT the fault of museums,
but a symbol of the low value which the US government, "Wall Street
culture" and much of the US population values education.

Dr. Linda Ellis
Professor and Director, Museum Studies Program
College of Humanities
San Francisco State University

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
FAX: 415-338-7030