From:
Adriaan Linters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 12:03:32 +0200
At 13:47 1/07/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Re: Lifesaving or Museumsaving?
>
>A frequent type of dependent museums are the treasure museums in the
>administration of local church communities. Sometimes they have very
>precious, old objects, but often they dont respond entirely to the
>common museums definition. I have dealt with this problem in my recent
>museums study thesis, specially with the question wether the objects of
>these museums are looked at first as religious (may be sacred) things or
>as museums objects. To special occasions some of them are taken out of
>the museums vitrines and used in the liturgical sense, coming back soon
>to be presented to tourists as cultural artifacts.
>I would like very much to receive comments to this question or some
>indications of other church / dome museums.
>
>Yours
>
>Peter Kaiser
>
>museologist
>Fliederweg 5
>CH - 5000 Aarau
>phone **41 62 824 56 25
>fax   **41 62 824 48 05
>e-mail  [log in to unmask]

Just to mention the following museums, all situated in Flanders (Belgium):
- Museum of the St.Jacob church (Lange Nieuwstraat 73, B-2000 Antwerpen,
phone (+32)3.2321032)
- Museum of the St.-Salvator Cathedral (Kathedraal St. Salvator,
Steenstraat, B-8000 Brugge, phone (+32)50.336188)
- Museum van het Heilig Bloed (Museum the Holy Blood Chapel, Burg 13,
B-8000 Brugge, phone (+32)50.337173)

Most of the large churches in Gent, Antwerpen, Mechelen, Brugge, Leuven,
Oudenaarde, Kortrijk, etc., a lot of churches in smaller towns and a number
of old abbeys hold important collections, without these being considered as
'museums'.

Greetings !

Adriaan Linters
A. Linters
scientific director
Conservare nv the European Heritage Forum
Vlamingstraat 4
B-8560  Wevelgem
Flanders-Belgium
tel. (+32)56.253373 or 421012
fax  (+32)56.417636
---
The first tests of the European Heritage Web Database and Calendar are now
online. Please visit this website and send us your comments and remarks:
http://eur-heritage.com
You can also reach the web-database through our webpage:
http://www.conservare.be