From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:24:42 -0400
At 07:44 PM 7/16/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Do you use pigma pens?  India Ink and fountain pens or quills?  Acrylic ink?
>How do you keep the process reversible?
>Write directly on artifact? or not?
>What about 25% solution of B72 in acetone?  Health hazards?  University
>Products has an opaque version of this solution.  Good?  Bad?
>Any other methods?  Suppliers of stuff would be helpful as well.

For pottery, glass, ceramic, wood, porcelin, and plastic at Alexandria
Archaeology, we used to use clear nail polish and India ink with fountain
pens.

At the Women in Military Service For America Memoria (WIMSA), we use pigma
pens for photo graphs but straight pencil on old photographs or documents.

As for reversible, obviously the pencil is.  But the other methods one had
to be extra careful in marking them.  The India ink and pigma pens can be
wiped off until they dry but then they are rather permanent.

Deb

Staples &  Charles Ltd.
225 N Fairfax St.
Alexandria, VA 22314