From:
Stephen Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:13:58 +0000
The Museum of the History of Science in Oxford has an important
collection of Islamic mathematical ('scientific') instruments, dating
from the 10th century (A.D.) onwards. Most of the collection is on
permanent display and includes astrolabes, quadrants, globes and related
devices.

These instruments have been drawn on for the museum's current special
exhibition: 'Lines of Faith: Instruments and Religious Practice in
Islam'. The exhibition was curated by the museum's graduate students and
runs until 27 June. It also has a web site:

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/students/97to98/exhibits/index.htm

Stephen Johnston
Museum of the History of Science
University of Oxford