Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:31:10 -0800
I'll put this on the list; other folks might have something to add.

Moving a large collection - be it paper, cultural art, natural history
or any other sort of it material - IS a daunting task.  John Bing made
some great suggestions; you are very fortunate if you can do all of
those things in preparation for your move.  Every  issue you investigate
and plan a response or goal for is one less disaster waiting to happen.
This is my second time to deal with such an adventure, and it is one I
try to view as an unparalleled opportunity to fix all the little things
that have always been just short of ideal (or farther afield).

First, I want to make some points to help you avoid future angst.  Plan
your move, but be prepared to adapt as you discover either a) things you
just didn't know were there, or b) great ideas for improved access,
preservation, or space utilization that may reveal themselves as you
go.  The better you have investigated the collection first and planned
for its needs, the fewer the surprises, but just mentally prepare
yourself for the possibility of change to avoid heartache later.  Also,
know that every new space built is too small the minute it is approved.
As well, anticipate budget cuts.

I would recommend that you tour facilities with similar collections and
ask to see their storage areas.  Ask them questions about what has gone
right and wrong for them, and what they would change if they could.
Seeing it firsthand can really help!

Also, use the opportunity to find new vendors or get price cuts from
those you already deal with - you will probably be spending some money
on supplies, and who knows - there might be something new and better out
there.

Finally, if you use outside labor, get the best.  When you are putting
trust in the abilities of a stranger, it is not the time to cut corners
or use someone inexperienced.  Beating yourself up about it later or
spending time with insurance agents or lawyers will never replace what
you lose.

Best of luck!
Tim

--