From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:00:00 PST
Hi - the discussion of museum studies at an undergraduate level is an
interesting one. Here at the University of Victoria, undergraduates have access
to two core courses in museum studies and heritage conservation along with a
brand new course on approaches to museum collections research, but it is our
expectation that they will bring an undergraduate degree AND related work
experience to our Diploma in Cultural Conservation. We recognize that
disciplinary training is really valuable in both their work and their
subsequent studies, and the work experience helps participants to contextualize
their learning most effectively.

We are noticing that increasing numbers of undergraduates (and grad
students) from other universities in Canada and the US are taking our distance
and immersion courses for transfer credit as a solution to gaining access to
museum studies within universities that don't offer such courses. This certainly
enriches our group of participants and seems like a great solution when access
issues are a problem.

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural Resource Management Program
University of Victoria
Phone 250-721-8462
FAX 250-721-8774
email  [log in to unmask]

For detailed Program information, please visit our Web Site at
http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp