From:
Gary Acord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 05:13:34 UT
This is exactly right.  the fact of the matter is, many organizations already
have these types of documents and practices in place.  I do think that ISO
9000 is perhaps the wrong approach for museums.  although i'm not an expert in
ISO by any means.  it just seems, that after reviewing many of the typical
scenarios that fall under ISO9000, museums just don't fit.  there are many ISO
standards areas to be looked at.  the 9000 series evolves around the
non-conforming product, be that widget or service.  i think accredidation (sp?
please it's late) is along the lines we are all looking for.  The thing that
seems funniest to me (and i hope this next statement doesn't put me on some
international hit list) is that  ISO seems very confusing to most.  In the end
it's just as the gentlman says below.  you describe what it is you do for any
given task.  you do what you described that you would do.  and if anyone looks
at your description, and then checks what you did, they match.  Now the funny
part, most companies hire in an ISO expert at about $1000 a day or more to
help them figure this out!!!  that kills me!

well, someone please point out an oversight in my comments.

Gary Acord
Acord Information Management