From:
Richard Chute <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 08:31:39 -0800
I recently learned that our local new mega mall, the "Ontario Mills",will
include not only an iWERKS theater, but a for-profit natural history
museum called "The American Wilderness Experience."  It will be an
indoor, recreated wilderness exhibit complete with some live animals, a
second smaller movie theater ("The Adventure Simulator"), gift shop and
restaurant (where you can dine underneath the recreated Sequoia).
They will provide a 2-hour entertainment opportunity that interprets
the natural history of California--our mountains, deserts, valleys,
and coast.  Costs per person will be something like $6.75 for kids, $7.75
for adults.

Apparently, the Ogden Entertainment company (which also makes fuzzy
endangered species dolls and develops IMAX theaters), liked a for-profit
museum started just outside of Yellowstone National Park, and is taking
the concept nation-wide.  I think they're headed for Texas, next.

I remember we had a few messages sometime back about for-profit museums.
I'd be curious to know if anyone else knows anything about Ogden
Entertainment or any other developing commercial museum ventures.
--
Richard M. Chute
Director of Development