From:
Rick Toomey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 02:42:14 GMT
Anita Cohen-Williams <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Wait a minute! Isn't the common name for paradichlorobenzene, "mothballs"? And
>haven't people all over the U.S. been using these mothballs for over a hundred
>years? I have yet to see any scientific reports that link cancer to mothballs
>in closets. (Not to say there haven't been any, I just haven't seen any.) Let
>me check MEDLINE and get back to you.

Yes, paradichlorobenzene is one of the ingredients that has been
used for mothballs.  Another is naphthalene, I believe.

I just took a look at the material safety datashest for paradichlorobenzene
as suggested by Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>.  It is certainly
not a substance I would like to have around me.  You can check out the
MSD at the following url:

gopher://ecosys.drdr.Virginia.EDU:70/00/library/gen/toxics/1%2C4-Dichlorobenzen

By the way, the MSD for naphthalene is also available at the
University of Virginia gopher site listed above.  It is not
pleasant reading either.

Rick Toomey
Illinois State Museum