From:
Murph the Surf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 11:59:16 +0000
Jim Angus wrote:

> The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County is considering offering
> dial-up Internet access and museum associated email addresses and homepages
> as a fee based service to members.

This is an excellent idea, something I've been suggesting for the past
two years. I do wonder, though, if the expectation of profit is
realistic. From what I know access providers don't do very well
financially unless they have corporate clients with deep pockets. And
there is a question of how we will access the internet in the future is
still in question: cable or phone, etc.? And there is a great deal of
support staff necessary. Someone calm and understanding has to be
available to answer question over the phone from those who are less than
proficient with computer technology.

But if museums can form a consortium of other museums and educational
institutions with the requisite staffing the possibilities of the museum
as an access point for the world at large are greatly expanded. I've
found that I now start off from either from my customized MSN homepage
or the New York Times. If a museum could create that kind of service,
with daily changes to the home page, perhaps in partnership with a local
newspaper or community group, with information of use to me, I'd
consider switching. The the technical backup would have to be in place
as well.

ROBBIN MURPHY, creative director, artnetweb
http://artnetweb.com/artnetweb/
426 Broome Street, NYC 10013  212 925-1885