From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 21:05:24 -0500
On Dec 19, 1995 11:34:50, 'Barbara Winter <[log in to unmask]>' wrote:

>Robert Baron gives a clear discussion of the CHIN fields, then:
>
>>Addendum: The most peculiar valuation data element I ever found in a
museum
>>(actually a calculated field) was the following: Number of square inches
>>per dollar valuation!
>>--
>>
>Actually, a number of types of objects are commonly calculated in this
>manner.  Wholesalers purchasing Dene quillwork bands in the western NWT
>Canada work on a cost per inch basis (In 1981 a 1" wide band usually went
>for $10/linear inch, a 1.5"  - $15.00/linear inch, and 2" wide for $20.00
>linear inch).
>
>In the past, argillite 'totem poles' sold on a cost per inch basis.
>
>I am certain we could find other examples

Thanks to Barbara Winter for helping me understand this bizarre field.

Price per square inch I can understand, but the inverse: number of square
inches per dollar value is more difficult.  In fact this calculation
(derivative of assessed value and area) was created during the valuation of
an estate of painting.  I can stretch some and understand how the figure
might be useful for insuring objects during transportation.  Perhaps
someone can help explain how this figure might be useful for probate.
--

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant