From:
Anne Dealy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 01:46:09 -0500
I am writing for any advice anyone might wish to share regarding a job
offering.  I am presently working in a museum as a science educator,
receptionist, office assistant, jack-of-all-trades, while volunteering as a
cataloger in the history department-that is how I got the paid work.  I also
have several summers experience as a tour guide and research assistant
(cataloguing, geneology, local history, accessioning) and an MA in history.
 While I have gotten rave reviews from the curator I am working with, the
museum I am at is not likely to have any curatorial positions available in
the next several years if present trends continue.  I have been looking for a
full time long term job for a year now and am not hopefull of finding much in
the near future, especially not in the area I live in (where I would like to
stay).  I have, however, been offered a position in this museum's public
relations department which primarily involves writing.  I am told the
position is poorly paid (no surprise), high stress, and may involve working
with a difficult supervisor.  Many professionals have told me to take it for
the variety of experience, others have said to stay away from the department.
 As of January my present reliable job is over.
Does anyone have any opinions on the usefulness of p.r. work for a future (I
hope!) curator?  Please send me your responses directly, as I doubt this is
of interest to the list.  Thank you in advance.

Anne Dealy