From:
Joseph M Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 11:36:08 -0700
Dear Joe,

We are part of the University of Arizona in Tucson. For many years -
maybe still - students would take certain astronomy courses in our
planetarium. Instructors would also give assignments that would require
use of some of our exhibits; solar spectrum and antique instruments for
example.

Since I arrived here, about 4 years ago, we have been re-doing our exhibit
offerings. Many of the old exhibits are no longer here. Still, I find
students are being given assignments on these exhibits which tells me
that the instructor has not been in for some time.

As of now there are no official channels for communication between our
exhibit program and various course requirements. I'm not really sure I
want any. I don't think that our exhibits should be built to meet the
needs of instructors or their courses. And I certainly do not want to be
directed by say, the school of sciences to build any specific exhibits.

Let's keep in mind our primary purpose for being in existance.
Both schools and museums are institutions organized to inspire, and maybe
educate, individuals. Therefore, in my view we do not exist to serve the
needs of schools, but our visitors.

Joe Ruggiero
Associate Director / Exhibits
Flandrau Science Center