From:
Joe Nagel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 09:04:10 -0800
>As a student liason to the Mount Holyoke College Art Museum, I'm
>interested in finding out how other academic institutions' museums cater
>to students.

Few of the university museums I have visited seem to have any specific tie
with students and/or curriculum.

I managed a departmental geological museum with about 5,000 sq ft of
exhibit, almost half of which was devoted to systematic displays
specifically tailored to curriculum.  These displays were prepared in
consultation with teaching faculty and were thus continually referred to by
students.  There always seemed to be students standing in front of these
exhibits during lab courses.

Another way we engaged students was by way of volunteer involvement
behind-the-scenes.  I had a store manager who did this quite successfully
through our retail operation and it resulted in a greatly heightened
awareness among all of the students.  Word-of-mouth was very powerful among
our student groups, whereas exhibits and signs tended to be tuned out by
many.  The day to day fight with courses and exams does not produce a
reflective demeanor.
Joe Nagel (KUSTOS Inc.)
2961 Semiahmoo Trail
Surrey, B.C.  V4P 1H4