From:
Craig Rosa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 15:24:26 -0700
|>Harry Needham recently posted:
|>
|>>We were disappointed to find that only 27% of respondents had an Internet
|>>connection either at home or at work. Of that fraction, 78% reported
|that they
|>>did NOT visit museum sites on the WWW and only 4% (a disappointing 1% of
|>the total >respondents) had "visited" the CMC WWW site before visiting. Only
|>1 respondent in >503 reported that the visit to the CMC WWW site had
|>influenced his decision to >make a physical visit.

Great to see some numbers. But Don't Panic. Try this survey in a year, and
then again in 5. I am willing to bet the farm that your numbers will rise
exponentially.

The WWW, as we know it is a nascent technology.... I'm sure a similar
survey about TV ads in 1948 would have yielded similar results.

 Up from nothing, 4% of Internet-ready  visitors seems great. Of your
visitors that have access to other media- radio, TV, newspaper- how does it
compare? That would be interesting to know.

Also, I concur with a previous post saying that getting new  visitors in
the door is not the sole reason museums are on the net. As your results
indicate, it is just too early to tell.

***     Craig M. Rosa
***     Exhibit Developer, The Tech Museum of Innovation
***     email> [log in to unmask]   vox> (408) 279-7133
***     WWW> http://www.thetech.org/    fax> (408) 279-7197