From:
Christina Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 1995 10:27:34 -0700
Also a great area of debate here at Glenbow.  In the past 2 years we have
completely re-done the exhibits on one floor and mounted another new
permanent exhibit on another floor.  The 4th floor teams tended to each
handle credit panels differently - some listed just the core team members,
some listed extended team members, some listed other contributers
(contractors, donors, etc.)  In all cases, somebody was left out
(unintentionally) and in one case someone was creditted who didn't even work
on the project!

I was project team leader for the exhibit mounted on our third floor and
when it came to be our turn to do a credit panel, we had a lengthy debate
within the team.  What we finally decided to do was put up a panel that
mentioned no one by name, but that thanked everyone.  And we made it big and
colourful.  This is the text:

-----------------------------------
We couldn't have done it without you!

You are among the many people whose hands, minds, and hearts played a part
in the making of Growing Up and Away: Youth in Western Canada.

You  donated your childhood treasures or those of your children.

You  shared your opinions or related your personal experiences.

You  lent us your technical skill.

You donated or shared your photographs with us.

You  expressed your childhood through art.

You  gave gifts of time, money, or goods.

Whatever your contribution, you have helped make the exhibit dynamic,
compelling, and real.  For this we thank you.

Growing Up and Away was generously  supported by the City of Calgary,
Alberta Lotteries Fund, and The Museums Assistance Program, Canadian Heritage.
---------------------------------

We decided that the only "named" credits would be for our sponsors.

In retrospect, this still isn't perfect because while it makes sure that you
don't miss someone, it still doesn't give the visitor a clue as to who to
contact with questions.  A current exhibit team at Glenbow has decided to
name an "Exhibit Liaison", both in the exhibit and in the publication; "If
you have questions about Memories of War, Dreams of Peace, please contact
our Exhibit Liaison, ...."    We'll see if this works.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say as this is still something
we struggle with.

Christina Simpson
Co-ordinator of Evalaution/Results Monitoring
Glenbow Museum
Calgary, AB  Canada