From:
Claire Pillsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:23:01 -0800
>We are getting a coin-operated plastic-injection moulding machine which
>uses polyethylene pellets. Has anyone had experience with such a machine?
>Are heat levels a problem, does it need special ventilation, is there any
>off-gassing.

There are two of the type of machines I think you are talking about in the
basement galleries of the  Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. They
appear to be from the early 60's.

 I purchased a white plastic souvenir bust of Abraham Lincoln (it was fun
to watch it being made while you wait).  I didn't notice any special
ventillation provision around the machines ar attached to them.  There is a
bit of a waxy smell when the warm figure drops out of the machine but it is
not especially strong or obnoxious. The little figure I had was fragrantly
"off-gassing" for the rest of the day but that was about it.  Machine
didn't seem especially hot and the figure has air blown over it to cool it
before it drops down to be delivered to the purchaser.

Probably the chief concern should be if there is any special toxicity
associated with exposure - staff that may have to work next to it all day
for example.  I expect that you can request in advance a Material Safety
Data Sheet (MSDS) from the manufactuer or the supplier of the pellets.
This disclosure sheet of any possible hazard is required by law to be
available to any customer of raw materials.

Claire Pillsbury, Exhibit Developer,
email - [log in to unmask]    TEL: 408-279-7136, FAX: 408-279-7197

Tech Museum of Innovation
145 West San Carlos Street
San Jose, CA  95113-2006
USA