From:
GLYN BALKWILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 1995 05:55:00 +0200
Kerridwen Harvey wrote :

KH>Can any of you suggest good reading on the subject of the value of museum
  >collections - by value I mean not so much the economic value but the value
  >to society (more of a kind of "moral" value)?  I have some articles on
  >natural science collections.

I have some documents entitled `What value Heritage?', `What Price
Heritage' and `Heritage Collections in Australia' from Department of
Arts, Sport, the Environment, Tourimm, and Territories, the Department
of Finance and the Heritage Collections Working Group, Australia.

I don't have addresses for the Depts, but the last has Margaret
Anderson, National Centre for Australian Studies, Monash University on
the title page.

They're about 5 yrs old, but may be of use.

Perhaps a museum-l'er from down under could give you more info on
where to find them.

Glyn Balkwill
National Cultural History Museum, Pretoria, South Africa