From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 12:31:19 EDT
***** from Lori:
 "Date:    Sat, 2 Sep 1995 10:06:01 -0600
 From:    Lori Shortreed <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Re: Environmental Control for Historic Buildings

 I'm currently working with a small museum/art gallery/historic site in
 Stony Plain, Alberta.  We have two buildings, an old brick school house
 and a home, circa 1912.  We're not doing a whole lot of anything to
 conserve it outside of basic maintenance.  I'd really appreciate hearing
 back from you about some of the low costs conservation methods people
recommend to you. Good luck."

 ***** reply:

 Maintenance is Preservation. Add in a little forethought and documentation and
you have Conservation. I suggest reviewing your current maintenance program
(every building has one) and if it is not giving you the result you need,
consider formalizing it for more effecient and cost effective results.

 I have presented a detailed step-by-step method of upgrading maintenance
programs for historic buildings in the Maintenance Programming Manual for
Historic Buildings, Published by the Maine Historic Preservation Commission in
1989.

 The Manual was substantially revised in 1993 as one of the Practical
Restoration Reports titled Managing Maintenance. Send me direct Email if you
would like information on how to obtain a copy.

 John Leeke, Preservation Consultant

 Compuserve: 71045,1365
 (Assistant SYSOP, Handyman Forum, Old House Section)
 Internet: [log in to unmask]
 USPS: 26 Higgins St., Portland, ME  04103, USA
 Voice phone: 207 773-2306