From:
GailFJJMA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 10:37:52 -0400
For many years, our museum of art has used plexi covers for our exhibition
and didactic labels. These covers have nail holes on each end through
which braids are inserted.  Before our computer renaissance, the labels
were typed on 3 x 5"  or 5 x 8" index cards, but are now printed on laser
printers offering a variety of fonts and a flexibility with the color and
type of paper stock.  The only negative aspect is that the covers are
reflective and some people don't like that. The pros - flexibility, ease
with installation and deinstallation (you merely pull them off and putty
the small nail holes - volunteers and interns are easily trained in this
task), and the label is protected from fingerprints (heaven forbid) or any
other foreign object.

We are pleased with this method.

Gail Kana Anderson
Assistant Director/Curator of Collections
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art
The University of Oklahoma
410 W. Boyd St.
Norman, OK  73019
405.325.3272 /  e-mail [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]