From:
Quintanna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 16:09:56 -0400
We're a science museum start-up in Bloomington Indiana and we're ready to
search for someone to coordinate our fundraising effort.  My questions to
the more experienced members of this newsgroup:

1.  Should this be a volunteer or a paid professional?
2.  If it's a paid professional, is it reasonable to offer them the
position with no base salary,  just a commission: In other words,  the
person earns X-percentage of the total money generated?
3.  Would a paid professional work in cooperation with a team of
volunteers, each representing different sectors of our community, or would
they work alone?
4.  Finally,  how did you structure your first fundraising team -- the
people who generated the original start-up monies?
We're thinking we might have one person in charge of nothing but tracking
down and applying for grants,  then various people representing the
various sectors of the community: hospital/medical; business; school
system, etc. And have one person oversee the whole thing. What do you
think about that?

Thank you for responding to these questions.  Please e-mail me directly at

Debra Kent
The WonderLab Museum of Science, Health & Technology
812.339.8053
PO Box 6897
Bloomington, IN 47407-6897